Skip to main content

New Reviews and a Surprise!!!

Alright guys!!! When we get to 1,000 page views, we are going to do a book giveaway!! We're getting close and wanted to thank all of you for reading our random ramblings!! There will be more information when we get there!! Thank you all!

Time for our newest reviews!!!

Emma:

THE YOUNG ELITES by Marie Lu

The Young Elites (Young Elites Series #1)
Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is amalfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.
Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.

Audience: 13+

Review:

I read this book because a follower on our YouTube channel asked that we do a video review of it.  Since I had just picked it up, it seemed like the perfect time to read it.
I want to start off by saying that my judgment on this one may be clouded by my love for all things shiny, sparkly, and happy.  This book was NONE of those things, and so I really struggled through it.  It's DARK y'all...like really dark.  I am used to the strong and heroic protagonist traveling the journey of the book, learning about themselves, and running in to save the day...for the "good guys".  While Adelina does in fact journey through the book, learn about herself, and save the day, it is NOT in service of the "good guys" and here's where my mind went nuts.  I mean, who is the good guy here?  I went through half the book before I realized that protagonist is not in fact the hero, but is maybe the enemy. Many people will probably realize this MUCH sooner than I did, I guess I was just hoping the good was in there somewhere (I mean, I try to see the good in people ok?) THE YOUNG ELITES gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "there are no good guys and bad guys, just people with their own agendas."  Add on top of all of this the ideas of genocide, abuse, disease, and power hungry monarchs, and you can see why happy shiny me still has mixed emotions.  I will say, Marie Lu writes with such ferocity and intensity that my emotions were flying every which way while I read it.  The story did suck me in, and left me with all the feelings in the pit of my stomach.  Not many authors can do that, so while it wasn't MY taste per say, it is an incredible story, and world that she has built.  Needless to say, while I WILL (I promise!  See I wrote it down, now I have to!) read the next book THE ROSE SOCIETY, it may be a bit before I revisit the world of THE YOUNG ELITES.  

Get it here:

Barnes and Noble
Amazon
Check it out on Goodreads



Kelsey:

Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco


Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

Audience: 13+

Review:
Great take on Jack the Ripper!!! The story behind Jack the Ripper is already fascinating enough, but having a YA take it on it just takes the cake!! The mystery hidden behind the ripper and trying to figure out who it could be is great! She will have you questioning everyone! The twist at the end is perfect, and I love it so much! I love the science added to the story which helped balance the amount of gore by tying it into scientific reasoning. It's a great tale to what could have happened! The author's note at the end was great and informative so keep reading!! Highly recommend!!! <3

Links to buy>>
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

Add it to your Goodreads!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...