Skip to main content

"You have to respect the road trip" Emma's review of THE LAST TRUE LOVE STORY by Brendan Kiely



The Last True Love StoryFrom the critically acclaimed author of The Gospel of Winter and the coauthor of All American Boys comes a cool, contemplative spin on hot summer nights and the classic teen love story as two teens embark on a cross-country journey of the heart and soul.
The point of living is learning how to love.
That’s what Gpa says. To Hendrix and Corrina, both seventeen but otherwise alike only in their loneliness, that sounds like another line from a pop song that tries to promise kids that life doesn’t actually suck. Okay, so: love. Sure.
The thing about Corrina—her adoptive parents are suffocating, trying to mold her into someone acceptable, predictable, like them. She’s a musician, itching for any chance to escape, become the person she really wants to be. Whoever that is.
And Hendrix, he’s cool. Kind of a poet. But also kind of lost. His dad is dead and his mom is married to her job. Gpa is his only real family, but he’s fading fast from Alzheimer’s. Looking for any way to help the man who raised him, Hendrix has made Gpa an impossible promise—that he’ll get him back east to the hill where he first kissed his wife, before his illness wipes away all memory of her.
One hot July night, Hendrix and Corrina decide to risk everything. They steal a car, spring Gpa from his assisted living facility, stuff Old Humper the dog into the back seat, and take off on a cross-country odyssey from LA to NY. With their parents, Gpa’s doctors, and the police all hot on their heels, Hendrix and Corrina set off to discover for themselves if what Gpa says is true—that the only stories that last are love stories.

Audience: 13+

Get it here: 
Check it out on Goodreads

Review-

I LOVED THIS BOOK.  I can't even put into competent words all the feeling this book gives me!  First off, I'm pretty sure this book was written specifically for me. (and I totally told the author Brendan Kiely that when I met him at the Texas Teen Book Festival!) I had not heard of this book before the festival, but I had the chance to see Brendan on a panel, and everything he said about the book got me hooked.  Get this...A dual love story: boy(Hendrix) meets girl (Corrina),  boy and girl steal a car and kidnap his Grandpa(Gpa) (who has Alzheimer's) to take him on a cross country road trip (so he won't forget his wife), boy and girl fall in love on road trip, boy remembers why Grandpa and family are so important, everyone learns a lesson...yay!  It gets EVEN better.  Corrina uses music to keep Gpa present and help him to stay focused during the trip.  So not only do we have the traditional youth love story, but also the love story between and grandfather and his grandson, PLUS the power of music, yup this book was made for me!  Within the first 11 pages I had laughed out loud twice and cried once, and by the end of the book I had to get tissues so I could attempt to read the pages through my bawling!  This book just makes you feel good.

There is lots of great music referenced in this book, so I decided not only to keep a running tally  of all the songs, I also played many of them at the point in the book when they're mentioned so I got the same soundtrack the characters did.  It was an epic way to read the book, and I've included the playlist from the first two states (to the best of my ability) here.  If you don't use the whole thing, I highly recommend at least playing the very first song when it's mentioned!

Corrina's Road Trip Playlist

CALIFORNIA

NEVADA
17. Bell Bottom Blues-Eric Clapton

Happy reading everyone!

<3 Emma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Muffin Top By Avery Flynn Excerpt Reveal!!!

"Avery Flynn knocks it out of the park again!" - Tawna Fenske, USA Today bestselling author Muffin Top, a hot romantic comedy from USA Today bestselling author Avery Flynn is coming October 29th! The only thing about me that's a size zero is the filter on my mouth. I've got a big personality, a big rack, and a big number on the scale. And I'm perfectly fine with that. But when some random guy suggests I might not be eating alone if I'd ordered a salad instead of a hamburger I'm shocked silent, which is a feat, trust me. That brings us to one sexy fireman named Frankie Hartigan. He's hot. He's funny… And he's just apologized for being late for our "date" then glared at the fat-shaming jerk. Next thing I know, he's sitting down and ordering himself dinner. I have no problem telling him I don't need a pity date . . . unless of course it's to my high school reunion next week. Oops where did that last...