Skip to main content

Check out the new book GHOSTS from Raina Telgemeier (author of SMILE, DRAMA, and SISTERS)


GHOSTS: By Raina Telgemeier


Catrina and her family are moving to the coast of Northern California because her little sister, Maya, is sick. Cat isn't happy about leaving her friends for Bahía de la Luna, but Maya has cystic fibrosis and will benefit from the cool, salty air that blows in from the sea. As the girls explore their new home, a neighbor lets them in on a secret: There are ghosts in Bahía de la Luna. Maya is determined to meet one, but Cat wants nothing to do with them. As the time of year when ghosts reunite with their loved ones approaches, Cat must figure out how to put aside her fears for her sister's sake -- and her own.


Emma's Review:

I took a break from my YA book this week to read GHOSTS, a much anticipated new juvenile graphic novel.  I love everything about Raina Telgemeier.  I can NEVER keep her books in my classroom library, they are always checked out to a kid who is dying to get their hands on them.  I am super pumped about GHOSTS because the entire book celebrates Dia De Los Muertos in a way only Telgemeier can put down on a page. I teach in a community where hispanic culture is extremely relevant, yet there are not many options for books that my kiddos can relate to.  THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!  Not only will the kids be (literally) waiting in line to borrow a copy, but I KNOW they'll be talking about it too and be able to make some super text to self connections.

Now on the adult side (I know, I get really excited about my students and tend to rant for their sake, sorry I'm not sorry!) this book is a quick, easy, FUN read (I finished it in an hour), and will leave you with all the warm fuzzy feelings.  I love seeing how the sisters relationship developed in a very real way, including the "UGH WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO INCLUDE YOU IN EVERYTHING!?!" angst from the big sister.  Getting deeper, the story of Dia De Los Muertos can be hard to convey to a person who is not familiar with the celebration, however GHOSTS does a perfect job.  The characters actually SEE their loved ones coming to visit them, and gives a whole new perspective on death and dying.  Who knew one book could feed so much deep thinking, while also being incredibly fun, and insightful!

Love this book for myself, EVEN BETTER for my kiddos.  I can't wait to see their faces on Monday when I bring it to the classroom.  They're going to FLIP! (and so will my heart :))

Audience: 7+

Get a copy here:

Barnes and Noble:
Amazon:


Happy Reading!
Emma!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...