Skip to main content

The Season by Jonah Lisa Dyer and Stephen Dyer!!

The Season by Jonah Lisa Dyer and Stephen Dyer
Viking/Penguin
July 12, 2016

Soccer star Megan McKnight thought she knew competition. 
That was before she became a debutante.

A soccer star with Olympic dreams, Megan can’t believe her socialite mother secretly entered her and her twin in the Dallas debutante season. Her bad attitude gets her on debutante probation: she’s got a month to prove she can ballroom dance, display impeccable manners, and curtsey like a proper Texas lady or she’ll get the boot and disgrace her family.  Trading her cleats for kitten heels, Megan waltzes into a full schedule of dazzlingly extravagant parties.  When she’s swept off her feet by the charming Hank Waterhouse, she starts to think being a deb might not be so bad (if only she didn’t have to contend with a backstabbing blonde and her billionaire boyfriend). But that’s before Megan finds herself in the middle of a media-frenzy-causing scandal, being humiliated in front of a dozen ten-year-olds, and getting punched in the face by another girl.
The season has begun…but the drama is just getting started.

Review!!

Emma: Ok.  Let me start by saying I don't write.  I mean I love words just as much as the next person, but typically only when they're handed to me and someone says "OMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!"  Which is basically what happened when I was introduced to THE SEASON, so woohoo!  Stick with me friends as I attempt to put my love for this book into writing.  I am a giant PRIDE AND PREJUDICE fan, so I was extremely intrigued by the concept of this book.  Add to that, the fact the Jonah Lisa Dyer herself came to our B/N store to deliver us copies, and I was sold right away.  I love a good misfit story, and goodness gracious this so did NOT disappoint!  I was hooked into Megan from the start, not your typical tomboy, but still rough enough that the concept of her in a cotillion dress produces a giggle.  I laughed the entire way, catching the subtle (and not so subtle) P&P plot lines weaving into life of modern day Dallas elite.   This book caught me so much, I even found myself YouTubing the "Texas Dip" and (GASP!) attempting it myself. (Side note, I failed abysmally, I was never meant to be a debutant apparently) Growing up in Wisconsin, I always thought the Texan life was so glamorous (I even moved here after college go figure!) and this book made that fairy tale come true.  I felt so at home with the characters that I, for a moment, felt as though I was a real life, native Texan.   This was such a great, happy, summer read.  I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, kick-ass book to remind them that in fact, you should NEVER mess with Texas women!

Kelsey: Wow! This is an amazing book! I could not stop giggling the entire time I read this book! If you love Pride and Prejudice, you will fall quickly in love with The Season! It's an older YA, so you need to keep that in mind while reading. The main character Megan is in college, so a lot of college related things happen! I loved so many things about this book. The writing and humor makes you want to hang out with either the main character (I wish!) or the authors who created her because it obviously has to come from somewhere! There are amazing come backs that will have you slapping your knee and laughing out loud. The love stories will make you swoon <3 I couldn't put the book down until I had every page soaked in, and I'm pretty sure I held the book like a child after! It will not disappoint! 

Watch our shaky funny video where we look at the gifts Jonah Lisa Dyer sent us!!

Audience: 15+

Places you can buy it>>>

Barnes and Noble
Amazon

Be sure to add it to your Goodreads!
Check out their Website to see more information on events, books, and newsletters!!

What would be your favorite/least favorite part of being a debutante? Let us know in the comments!!!

Happy Reading!
Emma and Kelsey <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...