Skip to main content

Emma reviews: IT ENDS WITH US by Colleen Hoover



IT ENDS WITH US by Colleen Hoover

The newest, highly anticipated novel from beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author, Colleen Hoover.
Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.
Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.
Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.
As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.
With this bold and deeply personal novel, Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching story that breaks exciting new ground for her as a writer. Combining a captivating romance with a cast of all-too-human characters, It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price.

Review:

I want to start by saying, I have never read a Colleen Hoover novel before this one, and if all her books are like this one, I have really been missing out.  I first heard about this book when I was at work, and approximately 12 people asked where it was.  I finally had to ask what all the fuss was about, and I was told "Don't ask questions, just read it.  This is going to be her masterpiece and you won't want to miss it." Ok book lover, I heard you loud and clear.  A week later I had the book in my hands and it went straight to the top of my TBR pile.  
If you can't tell from my other posts, or my Goodreads page, I typically gravitate towards the happier side of literature.  I was very excited about the "bad boy commitment phobe boy changed by strong independent girl" vibe that the back cover was giving off. Get ready though friends, this is NOT the happy go lucky, fairy tale love story you grew up hearing.  Instead it gives insight on the gritty parts that comes with loving all of a person.
The beginning of the book was just as I expected.  Boy meets girl, boy makes clear he doesn't do relationships, girl is intrigued, etc etc. But then, the storyline hit me like a ton of bricks.  In the span of one page, the book moves in a completely opposite direction that I NEVER saw coming.  IT ENDS WITH US moves towards the darker side of relationships, and forces the reader to face the harsh realities of love.  It was a fascinating reminder of the demons people bring to their relationships. 
Throughout the entire book, I could feel Lily's joy, pain, suffering, confusion, and inner turmoil.  Her past is described in detail through her adolescent journals (that she writes to Ellen DeGeneres, so wonderful.) and it gives the reader even more of a reason to stand behind her, and keep rooting for her through everything life throws her way.  I'm telling you I feel enlightened, and more importantly empowered by her journey.  By the end I honestly wanted to stand up at my desk and scream "YOU GO GIRL" as loud as possible.  
This book will change your perspective, and open your mind.  Get it. Read it.  Seriously.  Do it now. 

Audience: 18+

Get the book here:

Amazon

Happy Reading!!
Emma!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...