Skip to main content

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy!!

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
Bloomsbury USA Childrens
July 5, 2016

An Asteroid is hurtling toward Earth. A big, bad one. Maybe not kill-all-the-dinosaurs bad, but at least kill-everyone-in-California-and-wipe-out-Japan-with-a-tsunami bad. That's something to swear about, probably.

Yuri, a physics prodigy from Russia, has been called to NASA as they calculate a plan to avoid disaster. He knows how to stop the steroid. Yuri's research in antimatter will probably win him a Nobel Prize if his competitor in Russia doesn't steal his work--and if there's ever another Nobel Prize awarded. But the trouble is, even though NASA asked for his help, he's seventeen, and no one there will listen to him. Something else to swear about, if Yuri knew how.

He knows he can save the world, but what will be left for him? Then he meets Dovie, who lives like she's oblivious to the impending doom. Being with her, on the adventures she plans when he's not at NASA, Yuri catches a glimpse of what it means to live a life worth saving. And he learns how to swear.

Katie Kennedy's debute is fresh, funny, and will inspire a damn or two.

Audience: 13+

Review

Oh man, this book is intense! With Yuri being new to America, being a genius, and a horny teenager, this book had me laughing, cringing, and worried. With an Asteroid heading for earth Katie Kennedy describes the mechanics for the science and non-science folks to understand. I enjoyed the amount of research she must of put into this book to have it flow the way it did! It was truly amazing. After taking endless science courses I enjoyed being able to understand most of what was happening, but I was grateful for the breakdown for when I didn't.

She hits the horny, nerdy, teenage boy on the head, and I enjoyed every minute. Giggling page after page rooting for Yuri. I loved the hippie family that Dovie comes from and how it contracts Yuri's family. The character development all around was amazing and believable. I was transported to NASA watching over Yuri's shoulder, experiencing all of his emotions, it was truly a great experience.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a great laugh or wants to be on the edge of their seat waiting to see what happens next!

Links to purchase>>

Barnes and Noble
Amazon

Add it to Goodreads!

What was your favorite science class?? Let us know in the comments!!

Happy Reading!!
Kelsey!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...