Skip to main content

In-Between Post!!! Top Reads/Current Read/Future Read!

Hey Everyone!!

As we are busy reading and doing other life related things, we are going to be posting PAST books we love, current reads, and what we are going to read next! This way we can show you more things we love while we are finding new things we love!! <3

Kelsey: 


Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott


Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. 
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. 
Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.
When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends — her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. 
Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. 
This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

Audience: 13+ Mature.

Review: This book grabs you and doesn't let go. The fear that this could/does happen freezes you. The disgust makes you keep reading searching for that sliver of hope you hold onto. This book will stay with you for years and years to come. I've bought this book somewhere around six times because I believe it deserves to be read. I give it as a gift because this sort of thing probably happens more than we would like to think, or it could happen to someone close to you. Buy this book because you won't be disappointed. I promise. 

Links to buy this book>>

Add it to your Goodreads! 

What I Just Finished!!! 

This is the sequel to An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir because I don't want spoilers, I'm going to give you the description of An Ember in the Ashes instead! 

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

Audience: 13+

Great Right?!? You'll love it! Here's the links>>
An Ember In The Ashes -   Barnes and Noble     Amazon     Goodreads
A Torch Against The Night -  Barnes and Noble    Amazon    Goodreads
Review: 
The second installment of An Ember In The Ashes: A Torch Against The Night does not disappoint! This action packed adventure doesn't skip the gore, heartbreak, love, and twists around every turn. The battle against ones own choices is spread throughout the book. I love the mythology that is becoming more and more a part of this book along with the supernatural aspects that are sneaking in! <3. One of my favorite lines in this book is Failure doesn't define you. It's what you do after you fail that determines whether you are a leader or a waste of perfectly good air. <3 Towards the end of this book I was gasping and slapping my hand across my mouth in disbelief. Sabah Tahir sneaks up and gets you in this book, and I feel like she deserves and endless slow clap. I can't wait to see what lies ahead for this crew of characters, and I hope there are MANY more books to come! <3  


What I'm reading next: 
And a book a friend told me check out: 


Emma: 

Past book you love: UNWIND (Unwind Dystology) by Neal Shusterman

Overview

The first twisted and futuristic novel in the perennially popular New York Times bestselling Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman.
In America after the Second Civil War, the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life armies came to an agreement: The Bill of Life states that human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, a parent may choose to retroactively get rid of a child through a process called "unwinding." Unwinding ensures that the child's life doesn’t “technically” end by transplanting all the organs in the child's body to various recipients. Now a common and accepted practice in society, troublesome or unwanted teens are able to easily be unwound.
With breathtaking suspense, this book follows three teens who all become runaway Unwinds: Connor, a rebel whose parents have ordered his unwinding; Risa, a ward of the state who is to be unwound due to cost-cutting; and Lev, his parents’ tenth child whose unwinding has been planned since birth as a religious tithing. As their paths intersect and lives hang in the balance, Shusterman examines complex moral issues that will keep readers turning the pages until the very end.

Audience: 13+

Review: 
I plan to write a full review on this soon, and include (hopefully!) a discussion with a middle schooler who loved this series as well.  I tell EVERYONE I meet about this series, because quite honestly it changed my life.  I was extremely apprehensive about reading the first book because the original release cover had a creepy looking hand on it and I thought it was a horror book (I ain't down with that!).  So many people had recommended this to me, a fellow teacher, and about 7 6th graders.  I finally broke down and caved in.  After the first two chapters I. WAS. HOOKED.  By then end of the first book I was in tears, and by the end of the series I was so emotionally attached and connected to the characters that I really couldn't pick up another book and finish it for a few months (it was a difficult time, believe me!).  I learned so much from UNWIND, but most importantly, your really should NEVER judge a book by it's cover.  I almost did, and I would have missed out on the most amazing journey.

Links to buy this book>>>
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

What I'm Currently Reading: The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron

What I'm reading next: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


What book are you guys most excited to read this month?? Let us know in the comments!!
Emma and Kelsey<3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Queen's Rising Series by Rebecca Ross

 I loved this series! I never wanted it to end! Rebecca Ross has an amazing writing style that pulls you into the story and won't let go. There's mystery which I love. I enjoy having something to figure out, and the author being able to keep the truth hidden until the end. Guessing is obviously my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy being wrong at the end.  ;)  If you love fantasy and great storytelling, jump into this two book series! I can't wait to read more of her writing! The Queen's Rising When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. Growing up in the southern kingdom of Valenia at the renowned Magnalia House should have prepared her. While some are born with a talent for one of the five passions—art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge—Brienna struggled to find hers until she chose knowledge. However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true: she is left wi...

Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake!!!

Review:  I'm going to review all of these together because well...I read them all back to back and loved each one. It's also been a minute since I binged them. BUT these were amazing and I'm so glad I finally pulled the first one off my shelf, quickly realizing that I was going to need the rest of the series and immediately ordered the set to my house. These are a bit darker, but that just adds to the intrigue. The darkness pulls you in, begging you to unlock all of the dirty secrets hidden within. From the first synopsis you know the last queen gets the crown. But, Kendare Blake puts you into the lives of each sister. Letting you get to know them, their friends, their personalities. It's hard to root for one queen knowing the others would have to die. It would be easy if you could just hate them all from page one or possibly have one you love the most, but she goes and gets you attached to all of them with her amazing writing. I didn't want the story to end. There ...

Say You're Sorry By Karen Rose!

Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose Introducing the first novel in the pulse-pounding Sacramento series from  New York Times  bestselling author Karen Rose. There is a serial killer on the loose, preying on vulnerable women. The only identifiable mark the killer leaves are letters—sometimes one, sometimes two—all carved into the torsos of his victims. Together they spell “Sydney.” When he grabs Daisy Dawson, he believes he has found his next victim. But despite her small stature, she fights back with an expertise that quickly frees her. Before fleeing the scene, Daisy also manages to grab what proves to be crucial evidence: a necklace from around the killer’s neck. The necklace is more than a trivial item—it is a link to a cold case that Special Agent Gideon Reynolds has been tracking for seventeen years. With Daisy’s help, Gideon finally has the opportunity to get closer to the truth than ever before. But they might not get the chance, as the serial killer has a new target: ...